Monday, March 29, 2010

Challenges

I haven't been blogging much lately. Am still trying to get comfortable with the whole on-line diary thing. I've also found a lot of great books on community gardening, sustainable food and local economies which have been keeping me busy and have given me a lot of ideas on how to start off. So I've launched myself into organising a few things, and well...

I’ve hit my first barrier on the road to community gardening, and doing something that doesn’t revolve around money! Unfortunately it’s been in the shape of the Woolgoolga Curryfest which I have been attending every year since it began, as I liked the idea of supporting a ‘community’ event. Anyway, I made some phone calls to see if I could hand out free pamphlets at Curryfest about gardening and produce exchange and was told that I couldn’t because other people have paid money to sell things. I don’t really understand. As delicious as pamphlets are becoming these days, I don’t think I’d be undercutting someone selling curry. I might be able to pay a discounted rate of $120 if they decide to open a separate area- presumably for all the plebs! So... I feel like I'm back at the beginning and will have to think of another means of promoting a community development project.

1 comments:

Black Rabbi Pope said...

I have been to every single Curryfest in Woolgoolga, and the crowds are increasing, even though it has poured down with rain for the past two. Curryfest is a community event, portraying the unique multiculturalism of Woolgoolga, through curry. Unfortunately the cost to cook your curry has increased so much that for an unestablished family cook wanting to join in the fun of cooking curry has become unrealistic.
My favourite Curryfest moment was watching Kamahl singh, hehehe ;)
Check out http://www.curryfest.com.au