Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Local Government, Big Business & Participation


Well the Coffs Harbour Council has passed the Coles-Buildev development (before I start my rant and rave, I’d like to say that Councilor Kerry Hines was the only brave Councillor to vote against this out of eight, which is commendable). I came home yesterday after work, read the paper to find this out, and felt frustrated and upset at the politics of everything. The paper is full of quotes from those supporting the development saying that it is backed up by “factual evidence” and the need to “move forward” in Woolgoolga. Apparently “moving forward” is to encourage monopolistic chain stores to divide towns in half, and provide them with profit to send to the upper echelons of big business. The evidence is, according to the papers, that 450 submissions went in to Council supporting the development and only 20 went in opposing it. The Residence Association did a survey where 300 or so residence all agreed that a supermarket, and rezoning of the highway, was needed. From what I’ve been told by other residence, and without ever sighting the survey, there were two questions asked in this study: “Would you like the supermarket on the highway, or in the current CBD?” As Sarkissian et al point out in much development research, where is the question about “Do we need a supermarket at all?” Are we so deprived in Woolgoolga that we are starving without a Coles or Woolworths? Are the local IGA supermarkets, fruit & veggies shops, weekend farmers markets, cafes and restaurants running out of food regularly for Woopi citizens? Is going to Moonee Beach- if Coles happens to be the ONLY shop stocking what we’re after- too big a drive or hike or delivery for us! But realistically, people who are a million times more “local” than me have managed to survive for decades on what Woolgoolga has to offer, and have continued to live here for that reason. New-comers have chosen to live in this town for everything that it IS- a small town. And small towns often have less services, less option, and less choice in consumables… but sometimes- wait for the cliché- less is more! I’ve spent weeks and weeks on end, without ever having to leave Woolgoolga, without my health or happiness being compromised. Everything needed for survival is right here, including a million luxuries like the beach on our doorstep and bushwalks galore. But, as is human nature, people seem to want more more more… and confusion of what we need and what we want- not to mention what big businesses and a select-few interested people need and want (i.e. money & power)- begins to intertwine so that no body knows anymore!

I decided to write a letter to the editor of the Woolgoolga newspaper last night in response to the article outlining the vote of Council. I’ve attached it for comment- I couldn’t get ahold of the on-line newpaper article, but will continue searching.

Letter to the Editor:

The Council and Woolgoolga Residence Association both suggest that public participation has been sought on the ELP and the recent vote in Council to approve rezoning of the pacific highway outside of Woolgoolga. In terms of the Residence Association I’m curious to know what the survey disseminated looked like; what questions were asked in the survey; how the survey was circulated and the methods used to ensure a cross-section of the community? This would shed light on the assumption that the community has been spoken for in such studies. The Council suggests that by putting the draft ELP in the library they have met their consultation requirements. The Council’s approach eliminates people who didn’t read the Council Webpage advertising the display at the local library, as well as many people who are disadvantaged through transport, access to communication, or who have other responsibilities such as full-time work or carer and parental responsibility. I went out of my way to read the draft ELP and couldn’t make head nor tail of the council’s use of bureaucratic language, and it took some time (time that many people don’t have) just to locate the small section on the issue. I have been desperately trying to participate in this issue through reading the ELP, reading Council minutes, writing letters and calling Council to try to get more information- even with all this effort I still feel I have no voice, and that I have only been given the absoloute minimum of information. This, however, is what is referred to by people in powerful positions as community consultation and participation. This is not an accident either- there are many well-researched methods of meaninful participation that have been recommended to Council, but have not been taken up or even considered.
-D

1 comments:

Surfdoggys said...

Sorry to hear the bad news Des, all I can say is when the Coles is completed that's if it still gets built about all you can do is black ban it & get as many friends to do the same thing.

The prices at Coles are not cheap, especially there vegis & fruit so you need to get that garden growing.

The only thing Coles is looking at there, is the holiday period when all the tourists arrive, then they get there quota of customers, I bet other times of the year the place is dead.

We will be up there in July, Anne doesn't have to start her new job till after the July holidays which is great news, we have a place to stash the cat for a week, so we will be on our way before you can say F*** Coles & the horse it rode in on.

Have a great week Des, don't let it get to you too much, you can't beat the good old dollar.

Cheers Steve