Spent yesterday mowing the lawn, babysitting, emptying the compost (where some sort of snake had made a home) and getting a few things going in the garden (with some help). Will hopefully have some stuff to trade with everyone! We planted lettuce, wombok, beans, radish, onion, silverbeat, leaks, beetroot... and sausage trees for anyone with a kid's imagination.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hello Desley, good to see you having a good go at blogging. I was wondering if you had heard anything about 'Grow Your Own'. I know your not in my local area, but the ABC local radio Brisbane is having a real push on at the moment for local gardeners.
http://www.abc.net.au/brisbane/growyourown/
I don't often get time to listen to the radio, but often there are links here to useful articles and other information.
Hi Desley,
Your blog looks really nice. you are going really well with your action plan.
Regards,
Wasif
I thought it was about time for an update on my garden. I got the soil in and decided to try my hand at growing lettuce, broccoli and spinach. All was going well until my dog decided the garden bed was more comfortable than her $80 dog bed!! So we lost a few lettuce and broccoli :(
I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and if they have any suggestions on how to deter dogs (without using chemicals if possible).
My cos lettuce are growing at a great rate as are the cherry tomatoes. I have got a few cherry plants that i have grown from seeds that are ready to be planted out, so if anyone would like some let me know.
I will try to post some before and after photos of my gardening efforts!!
Hope everyone else is enjoying some gardening success aswell!!
Hi Des............
Here in orange the garden has taken it's usual 6 month Winter rest, even if I still have Broccoli
& silver beet growing well after the past few days rain.
The draw back of living here is we are not as lucky as you to be able to grow different types of Vegetables over winter. Since we have lived here for 30 years, we found that Broccoli is the best crop to have growing all winter, we have cabbage moth problems early in the growing season, then as soon as we get our first frosts no more moths, which means a nice healthy plant.
The plants are really large & still haven't started to show any heads on them yet, last year the heads were as large as an LP record, the biggest we have had, so this year is looking good as well.
The rest of our gardens are bare & sad due to the usual autumn fall here, colour change was the best in years, & now we look forward in to the start of Spring & all the blossom & flowers to start all over again.
I hope the plants you have sown are starting to show signs of you can eat me in a few weeks as we will leave here 5 weeks tomorrow to visit you.
Better go enjoy the warmer weather.
Cheers Steve
Post a Comment