I just watched an interesting ABC program on the Woolworths-Coles duopoly in Australia. It's definately worth watching just to see the complex circumstances surrounding a simple little vegetable!
You can watch it on line:
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2008/20080901_woolies/interviews.htm
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Our food bowl- The Price We Pay
Posted by *Desley* at 8:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I have been inspired and finally started my garden. I have a few potted herbs and chilli, as well as a huge cherry tomoto plant already but am hoping to branch out... My first challange has been finding somewhere suitable for a garden because we get alot of water through our yard when it rains. I have chosen a long narrow patch of dirt and built an edge to divert some of the water so i dont end up with hydroponics!! I now just have to wait for the soil to be delivered and choose what i am going to grow. Look forward to updating you on my progress and sharing some photos soon.
Wow Des, this is amazing! What an awesome idea & so inspiring.
We are in the process of putting up our chook pen & was wondering if we can swap our eggs on here? Also have russian garlic quite regularly & have a huge amount of comfrey that i'm not sure what to do with so if anyone is interested....?
This is so great Des, good on you!
Shan xxx
I just tried that link and I couldn’t get it to work (maybe it’s because I’m on a Mac). But I read the summary report. I was just complaining to my friends on Facebook, that I had picked up a Coles catalogue just to see what was on special and I found that around a quarter of the products were not actually on sale. They put out a catalogue that is partly made up of just listing products and prices! Unbelievable!
I do not like shopping at Coles and mostly I buy my groceries from an online independent supermarket. I remember last year talking to a market researcher as a part of a survey about supermarkets. There was a question I just couldn’t answer because the survey did not allow for an answer where my supermarket was not an actual place that I visited.
One of the reasons I love the online supermarket is because they pick up their fruits and vegetables from the Rocklea Markets each morning to order. And I know ‘the life’ of the fruit and vegetables goes far beyond anything I have experienced with the big two supermarkets. The fruit and vegetables are more expensive than Coles, but I am prepared to pay it because I believe the fresher they are, the better they are for me. They also sell a lot of bulk products and they will negotiate on volume. I can pick up the phone and speak to a friendly person who actually cares about keeping my business – not something I would get at a Coles or Woolies. I prefer the independent supermarket. One the whole I am not paying that much more, and it is morally satisfying too.
Hey Shan,
Yeah, I think eggs would be great. I started with fruits and veggies to keep it simple, but realistically anything home grown or home reared is worth sharing and keeps local economies going! I've tried your Russian garlic and its so good! Not sure what to use comfrey for, but I'd like to try anything new. Feel free to share any gardening tips on here as well!
Thanks so much for joining up!
Des
Hi Theresa,
Thanks for your comments on the supermarket stuff. I wish we had on-line grocery stores direct from farmers markets in Woopi! You're right about the shelf-life, every time I buy from the markets my food lasts almost a week longer- that's a big difference! I think it feels so much better knowing where your food has come from and knowing you're money is more likely to stay local, rather than head to some rich person in Sydney or overseas.
I'm not sure why you couldn't open it, though you may need to have Media Player on your computer.
Cheers,
Desley
Hey Jada,
Am just figuring out how to reply to comments. A bit slow over here! Plus I have actually seen you since you posted your comment and I have already told you that your garden looks great! But if you do come across this reply, please keep me posted on your progress.
Thanks, Desley
Post a Comment